Bad Breath in Toddlers; the Facts and Possibilities
It is just so overwhelming to see our children grow. You just can’t imagine how big your little baby has grown and now he is always up and running. And for being a mother that you are, you always want the best for your little one. You want him to have strong bones, bright eyes and even beautiful white teeth. Along with the latter, you surely want your baby to have baby fresh breath always.
Now, you will surely be in haste if you found out that your baby have bad breath. Yes, it is surprising because most people have the notion that babies will not have stinky and unpleasant breath. But, this is just normal. Yes, bad breath in toddlers is normal. It is unlikely that they will eat smelly foods like garlic and onions but it is still possible for them to have bad breaths.
Here are some things that may cause bad breath in toddlers;
• Sleeping – since saliva production is minimal when a person sleeps, babies are prone to have bad breath because they tend to sleep longer than adults.
• Breathing through the mouth – because most toddlers and babies breath through the mouth, they tend to have bad breath. Why? Well, because breathing through the mouth will make it dry and cause odor-causing bacteria to grow.
• Baby Things – sucking the thumbs or blanket, which are common to toddlers and babies, can also cause the mouth to dry.
Since your toddlers are not yet aware of proper hygiene, you should be the one taking care of your toddler’s mouth. So what are the things that you can do to prevent bad breath in toddlers? Here are some of them:
• Just like in adults, the best thing to do to avoid bad breath is by having proper oral hygiene such as the following;
– Rinsing the mouth after eating; you can use mouthwash
– Dinking plenty of water
– Cleaning the tongue properly
– Proper brushing and flossing
• Getting proper oral hygiene products that are appropriate for your kid is also a great way to keep your baby’s breath fresh
• Regularly bring your toddler to the pediatrician. Doing this will make sure that your baby is always well and do not suffer from any kind of infection which usually causes bad breath.
Teaching your toddler to brush properly is the first technique that you can impart to your toddler. This way, you can be rest assured that your child will have good oral habit even this early; and thus, ensuring fresh breath and clean mouth always. Aside from that, you can also keep your child from foods with strong odors as well as foods that contains high amount of sugar.
If you still need more information about bad breath in toddlers, you can conduct your own research. The internet is the best avenue for you to do that. There are lots of websites online that provide guides, information and tips concerning bad breath in children. You can search through these websites to find the right bits and pieces of information that you need. But you know what; the best place where you can get info is the dental clinic.
Ask your dentists about the best practices and techniques on how you can keep your toddlers safe from the hassles of bad breath and unhealthy mouth.